Happy Wednesday all! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! Today, I will be sharing recipe of my simple, go-to, yet delicious quesadillas. These are perfect when you’re craving that Mexican kick but don’t want to go to a Mexican restaurant and over eat on those chips. For me, home-made quesadillas are the perfect addition to your taco Tuesdays. It’s up to you what to fill your quesadillas with and how much cheese goes in! Get creative; So much power! Let’s get started.
- 1 can of Mexican refried beans
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Mexican cheese
- Red cayenne powder seasoning
- First, roughly chop half an onion, mushrooms, and jalapenos, and then mince the garlic.
- In a skillet over medium heat, spray cooking spray and add the onion, mushrooms, jalapenos, and garlic. Sautee until soften, about 10 minutes. Season with red cayenne powder if desired. Set aside.
- Then in the same skillet with cooking spray, cook the spinach until wilted. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, add 1 can of Mexican refried beans and a splash of water.
- Add half a packet of taco seasoning.
- Stir occasionally and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, garlic, and spinach to the beans and mix well. Add more red cayenne powder seasoning if desired.
- Add some Mexican cheese and cook for about 5 additional minutes. Set the heat to low.
- Spray a skillet on medium heat with cooking spray.
- Place a tortilla on a large plate and add 1 or 2 spoons of the bean mixture depending on the size of your tortilla. Spread in an even circle.
- Sprinkle a decent amount of cheese and place another tortilla on top.
- Place quesadilla on heated skillet and press down gently with a spatula.
- Let the quesadilla cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- After each quesadilla is cooked, place aside and let cool for about 2 minutes before cutting into even triangles.
- Repeat quesadilla assembly steps for however many quesadillas needed.
- Plate and serve!
Suggestions, Substitutions, Tips & Tricks:
- 1/2 of a can of refried beans will usually make about 4 quesadillas. You can always store the leftover beans in a container in the fridge for about up to a week.
- I can’t stress this enough- add whatever your heart desires in your quesadillas! For chicken- cut into small bite sized pieces and cook on a skillet. Add taco seasoning and then add to your bean mixture. You can even add grilled veggies or just make it a plain bean and cheese quesadilla!
- For a more cleaner presentation, only use 1 tortilla for a quesadilla. Meaning, add the beans to half of one side of a tortilla and fold over. It’ll be easier to cut in three triangles when cooked.
This recipe is one of those recipes where you can add whatever you like! The options are limitless! Trust me, this is a great fix for your Mexican night cravings. Very easy and very simple.
Tag me on Instagram, @cookingwithovenmitz, if you do make it. I would love to see your version of it. Click follow and hit the like button to keep updated on new recipes!
See you next Wednesday!