Happy Wednesday everyone! It’s super gloomy here on the east coast. I thought all of these showers were supposed to happen in April, not May…”April showers bring May flowers” Anywho, this recipe on Roasted Cauliflower & Freekeh Salad provides wonderful flavors to make up for the gloomy weather! A friend of mine is subscribed to Blue Apron and had the privilege to send free boxes to friends. Luckily, I snagged one! Although this is my first time trying any subscription meal delivery kit, I had mixed thoughts on it. However, this blog isn’t a review but I will provide my thoughts and opinions at the end of this post. Roasted Cauliflower & Freekeh Salad provides such an abundance of flavor and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean taste, it truly was one of my favorite dishes by far. It only takes about 40 minutes to make and is very healthy! Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cup cracked freekeh
- 1/2 cup plain green yogurt
- Persian cucumber
- 1 head cauliflower
- Roasted almonds
- Tahini dressing spice blend
- Medjool dates
- To prepare and roast the cauliflower, heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high heat.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the cauliflower and cut off and discard the stem end and leaves.
- Cut the head into 1 inch thick slices and then place on a baking tray. Season with salt or pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes then remove from oven when tender and then set aside.
- To prepare the freekeh, bring a pot of water to boil on high heat.
- Add the freekeh and cook for 25 minutes until tender.
- Drain any excess water and set aside.
- While the freekeh is cooking, prepare the tahini dressing.
- In a bowl, combine the tahini spice blend, juice of 1 lemon wedge, 3 tbsp of water, and a dash of olive oil. Whisk until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the yogurt, juice of 1 lemon wedge, as much garlic as you’d like, and a dash of olive oil. Whisk until smooth.
- To the pot of cooked freekeh, add the sliced cucumber, dates, almonds, and half the parsley, and juice of the remaining lemon wedges.
- To plate your dish: spread some yogurt sauce into a thin layer on the plate.
- Top with the finished freekeh and roasted cauliflower. Garnish with half of the tahini dressing and remaining parsley.
- Serve and eat up!
Suggestions, Substitutions, Tips & Tricks:
- This recipe is supposed to serve 2 but I had probably 4 servings of freekeh leftover.
- With Blue Apron, everything comes packaged for you, so I found it difficult if I wanted a little bit more of something such as lemon or tahini.
- This recipe is supposed to take 30 minutes to cook, however it took me a little less than an hour.
- Nonetheless, its very delicious and very healthy!
It’s very easy to find these ingredients in your local grocery store. This recipe is perfect for dinner or a weekend lunch. I can’t tell you enough on how delicious all of the flavors are! Go ahead and make Roasted Cauliflower & Freekeh Salad right now!!
Tag me on Instagram, @cookingwithovenmitz, if you do make it. I would love to see your version of it. Click follow and hit the like button to keep updated on new recipes!
See you next Wednesday!