Happy Wednesday all!
Today I will be sharing my recipe on Baingan Bharta, which is roasted mashed eggplants cooked with onions, tomatoes, chillies, and ginger. This delicious roasted mashed eggplant dish is one of the most comforting things to eat along with warm rotis. The mouthwatering smoky flavor that comes from charring the eggplant is what makes this dish so amazing. You can even roast them over coal which brings them to another level! Let’s get started!
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- Red cayenne pepper
- Garam Masala
- Wash, pat dry and prick eggplants. Roast them over open flame until the skin starts peeling off and eggplants start to shrink. Continue on all sides until the skin browns. Let them cool in a bowl of water.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomato and pulse until smooth or chop finely and set aside.
- Remove eggplant skin and mash the pulp.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, sauté the onions in a splash of oil until they become translucent.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and continue to cook until browned.
- Add red cayenne pepper and the mashed eggplants.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium high heat. Continue to stir.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat for another 10 minutes.
- Continue to mix and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Plate and serve alongside warm roti!
Suggestions, Substitutions, Tips & Tricks:
- This recipe serves about 2 people.
- It’s important to char the eggplants thoroughly so the raw flavor doesn’t remain.
- You can add however much spices you want according to your taste!
Baingan Bharta is so easy to make! It takes no time at all to cook, yet it’s so delicious! Not many ingrediants are needed, however the spices make the dish so flavorful.
Tag me on Instagram, @cookingwithovenmitz, if you do make it. I would love to see your version of it. Click follow and hit the like button to keep updated on new recipes!
See you next Wednesday!