Hey everyone! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving last week and gobbled til they wobbled! Today, I will be sharing my recipe on baked mac and cheese which I indeed made for last weeks holiday. You can actually even call this a one pot wonder. It takes no time at all, easy to bake, and so delicious to eat for a large gathering or even great for leftovers. Let’s get started!
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 3 blocks (8 ounces each) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni
- 4 or 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente and drain then set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, cut the cheddar into small cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, over low heat. Add the cubed cheddar and melt until creamy, stirring constantly. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and stir until egg is mixed into the cheese.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir until combined. Stir in the milk and cream cheese, until cream cheese has melted into the pasta.
- Add half of the pasta mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with some bread crumbs.
- Add the remaining half of the pasta, followed by more bread crumbs.
- Bake for 35 minutes and then broil on low for 5 minutes.
- Plate and serve!
Suggestions, Substitutions, Tips & Tricks:
- This serves about 8 people.
- Melting the cheddar requires a lot of arm strength and patience. Don’t worry- this recipe is totally worth it!
- You can add whichever cream cheese flavor- I added jalapeño.
- You can even top with onions, bacon, mushrooms, etc!
Tag me on Instagram, @cookingwithovenmitz, if you do make it. I would love to see your version of it. Click follow and hit the like button to keep updated on new recipes!
See you next Wednesday!